Hôtel de Soissons

L’hôtel de Soissons au XVIIe siècle

L‘hôtel de la Reine devenu hôtel de Soissons était un palais, construit au XVIe siècle par la reine Catherine de Médicis dans le cœur de Paris. Il tire son nom du comte de Soissons (cousin du roi Henri IV) qui en fut un des propriétaires.

Fruit d’un long assemblage de propriétés, il porta au fil du temps, les noms d’hôtel de Nesles, de Bohème, d’Orléans, de la Reine, en fonction des nobles familles auxquelles il appartint successivement.

L’hôtel a été détruit au XVIIIe siècle sous le nom d‘hôtel de la Reine. Il se situait dans le quartier des Halles, à l’emplacement approximatif de l’actuelle bourse de commerce.

À l’origine se trouvait un hôtel qui appartenait, au début du XIIIe siècle, à Jean II de Nesle. N’ayant pas d’héritiers, celui-ci en céda en 1232 la propriété à saint Louis, qui l’offrit à sa mère, Blanche de Castille, pour en faire sa résidence. Philippe le Bel, qui en hérita, l’offrit en 1296 à son frère, Charles de Valois (1270-1325). L’hôtel passa ensuite au fils de ce dernier, Philippe de Valois, qui le donna à Jean de Luxembourg, fils de l’empereur Henri VII du Saint-Empire et lui-même roi de Bohême.

Sa fille, Bonne de Luxembourg, héritière de l’hôtel en 1327, épousa le prince Jean de Normandie, futur roi de France sous le nom de Jean le Bon. Leur fils, Charles, le céda à Amédée VI de Savoie en 1354. Il appartint ensuite à Louis, duc d’Anjou et fils du roi Jean. Sa veuve, Marie de Blois, le vendit en 1388 à Charles VI, qui l’offrit à son frère Louis, duc de Touraine et d’Orléans.

Sur les instances du confesseur du roi Charles VIII, Jean Tisseran, celui-ci créa en 1498, dans une partie de l’hôtel, un « couvent des filles repenties » tandis que le reste des bâtiments fut partagé entre le Connétable et le Chancelier du duc d’Orléans.

À partir de 1572, Catherine de Médicis abandonna subitement le palais des Tuileries qu’elle faisait édifier et acquit un hôtel appelé d’Albret, constitué de diverses demeures qui voisinaient le couvent à l’est. Elle s’y installa et commença l’aménagement de ce qui allait devenir l’Hôtel de la Reine. L’hypothèse selon laquelle une prédiction serait la cause de ce déménagement précipité est la plus couramment retenue. Il est cependant difficile d’en connaître avec précision les raisons. La reine mère acheta donc dès 1572 les bâtiments entourant l’Hôtel d’Albret pour les intégrer à sa résidence. La propriété ainsi obtenue ne suffisant pas à ses besoins, elle obtint le couvent des filles repenties en l’échangeant contre celui de Saint-Magloire, propriété qu’elle possédait rue Saint-Denis. L’espace ainsi dégagé devint le vaste jardin qui s’étendait jusqu’à la rue de Grenelle (rue Jean-Jacques-Rousseau aujourd’hui). L’ensemble du projet fut confié à l’architecte Jean Bullant qui s’y attela de 1572 à sa mort en 1578 et qui commença a exhaussé le sol de 14 pieds pour mettre le bâtiment hors des crues de la Seine. Une très belle Vénus de marbre couchée, réalisée par Jean Goujon, décorait le bassin d’une fontaine dans un des jardins. De nombreuses améliorations y furent apportées au fil du temps, dont notamment en 1611 un magnifique portail élevé par Salomon de Brosse.

L’hôtel était composé de plusieurs appartements, dont un pour la reine-mère et un autre pour sa petite-fille Christine de Lorraine. Le roi et la reine, Henri III et Louise de Lorraine y avaient également leur chambre respective. L’hôtel comprenait des galeries et des salles de réception, magnifiquement décorées et ornées des collections d’œuvres d’art de Catherine de Médicis. Il servait alors de cadre aux réceptions mondaines et politiques de la cour.

L’hôtel possédait également une curieuse colonne astronomique cannelée, élevée dès 1574, appelée également colonne Médicis, haute de 31 mètres, qui existe encore et qui est le seul vestige de cet hôtel. Sa fonction exacte n’a jamais été déterminée, mais elle aurait pu servir aux observations de l’astrologue personnel de la Reine, le florentin Côme Ruggieri, auteur supposé de la prédiction déjà évoquée.

En 1589, après la mort de Catherine de Médicis et l’assassinat du duc de Guise, l’hôtel fut occupé par les princesses de la Ligue (dont Anne d’Este). À cette occasion, il prit provisoirement le nom d‘Hôtel des Princesses. Pendant cet épisode, il fut dépouillé d’une grande partie de ses meubles.

En 1601, après de longs problèmes de succession liés aux dettes accumulées par Catherine de Médicis, les héritiers de la Reine cédèrent l’hôtel à Catherine de Bourbon (1559-1604), sœur d’Henri IV. À la mort de celle-ci, il fut acquis par Charles de Bourbon, comte de Soissons, qui lui donna son nom. Ce dernier mourut en 1612 et sa veuve, Anne de Montafié, comtesse de Soissons, poursuivit l’acquisition de nombreuses propriétés autour de l’hôtel jusqu’en 1644 date de son décès. L’hôtel de Soissons présentait alors son apparence et sa taille définitive. Il passa ensuite à sa fille, Marie de France, épouse de Thomas de Savoie, prince de Carignan. Leur fils Emmanuel-Philibert en hérita, puis son successeur Victor-Amédée de Savoie, prince de Carignan, en 1718.

Ce dernier établit dans les jardins de l’hôtel, en 1720, la Bourse de Paris, afin de soulager les riverains de la Rue Quincampoix, où la spéculation s’agitait sous les fenêtres de la Compagnie du Mississippi. Des baraques furent dressées devant l’hôtel pour y accueillir les agioteurs et y négocier. Ruiné par la banqueroute de Law, il dut vendre la propriété en 1740. La prévôté de Paris racheta le terrain et détruisit les bâtiments en 1748. La colonne, vendue séparément, fut acquise par Louis Petit de Bachaumont qui en fit ensuite don à la Ville de Paris.

Les terrains ainsi dégagés servirent à la construction de la Halle au blé en 1760. Elle fut elle-même remplacée par la Bourse de commerce en 1889.

Sur les autres projets Wikimedia :

Student Scout and Guide Organisation

The Student Scout and Guide Organisation (SSAGO) exists to support Scouts, Guides, and people who have never been members of a Scout or Guide Association, who are students at Colleges and Universities in the United Kingdom and are interested in the aims, objectives, and methods of The Scout Association and Girlguiding UK. Many universities have a Scout and Guide Club affiliated to the University Student Union, although it is not necessary for a club to be union affiliated to be part of SSAGO. Where a University or College has no club, students can join SSAGO as Individual or „Indie“ members.

Most clubs run a number of weekend and evening events during term and longer events during vacations. Each term one club organises a weekend open to all Club and Indie members of SSAGO called a Rally.

The oldest example of a Scout and Guide Club in the United Kingdom is the Oxford University Scout and Guide Group.

After leaving University many members of SSAGO choose to join the Scout and Guide Graduate Association (SAGGA).

Informal Scout and Guide Clubs have existed as early as 1915, when the first generation of Scouts grew out of Scouting age yet wanted to keep some sense of fraternity. Some early organizations at colleges were known as Baden-Powell Guilds and Saint George Guilds.[citation needed] A world equivalent to this exists today in the International Scout and Guide Fellowship, or ISGF. Some of the first clubs were set up in university towns, such as Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester and London. Inter-club activities were run intermittently until 1927. By 1920, Rover Scouts had been set up for people over 18 but many people were also part of Scout and Guide clubs. University clubs banded together to form an Inter-Varsity organisation while College based clubs formed a similar set-up. It was not until 1947 that inter-club meetings started again, and even then only for the Varsity clubs (those from universities, rather than colleges). Only two colleges (Loughborough and North Staffordshire) were admitted to Varsity. No other colleges were admitted, partially because of snobbery in the old red-brick establishments. The Federation of Scout and Guide Clubs in Training Colleges was set up in 1956 for colleges, and a year later it formed the Intercollegiate organisation. In 1967, the Intercollegiate and Inter-Varsity merged to form SSAGO due to the dwindling number of colleges as many became universities.

SSAGO was 40 in 2007, to celebrate this event a special emblem was designed and the Summer Rally replaced with a Reunion Event held near Lincoln in July. Whilst this event was run as a Rally there were some noticeable differences; there were fireworks on the Friday night, all members old, new and SAGGA (who themselves are celebrating their 50th Anniversary) were invited to attend along with visits from prestigious guests such as Liz Burnley the current Chief Guide.

United Kingdom Scout and Guide Clubs and Rovers Crews were responsible for establishing an international Student Scout and Guide event called the Witan, named after the Anglo-Saxon gathering of the wise called a Witan. The first two such events were organised by the Oxford University Scout and Guide Group at Gilwell Park in 1959 and 1961.

Rally is a national camp, held once every term where SSAGO clubs around the UK meet up to socialize and participate in a weekend of activities. The size of a rally can vary from around 100 to over 250 people. The three rallies are held each year in February, June and November and, as they are hosted by different clubs each time, they offer an opportunity for participants to visit new places. The host club for each rally is chosen at the previous years‘ national SSAGO AGM.

Each rally has a theme chosen by the host club, which is incorporated into the rally through the different activities on offer across the weekend. Often, this includes experiences such as walks or hikes, on-site activities, visits to nearby attractions or simply an afternoon off with which to explore. In addition, rallies also typically include a themed fancy-dress competition.

In addition to the three rallies, there is also an annual ball hosted every year by a chosen SSAGO club. Ball provides an alternative to the camping and outdoors often associated with Scouting and Guiding by offering a formal meal, dancing and another chance to socialize with other SSAGO members.

Typically balls will be themed, with accommodation available nearby, varying from hotels to scout huts depending the participants‘ budget. Balls offer a packed evening program, giving everyone a chance to make new friends, catch up with old ones and have a great night outside of the campsite. Often, the ball will include activities nearby to help participants make a weekend of the event.

There are currently more than thirty universities with a SSAGO club. There are also at least ten that no longer exist. The Universities with a functioning SSAGO club are:

Finistère

Finistère lea departemeanta Frankriikkas.

01 Ain  02 Aisne  03 Allier  04 Alpes-de-Haute-Provence  05 Hautes-Alpes  06 Alpes-Maritimes  07 Ardèche  08 Ardennes  09 Ariège  10 Aube  11 Aude  12 Aveyron  13 Bouches-du-Rhône  14 Calvados  15 Cantal  16 Charente  17 Charente-Maritime  18 Cher  19 Corrèze  2A (20A) Corse-du-Sud  2B (20B) Haute-Corse  21 Côte-d’Or  22 Côtes-d’Armor  23 Creuse  24 Dordogne  25 Doubs  26 Drôme  27 Eure  28 Eure-et-Loir  29 Finistère  30 Gard  31 Haute-Garonne  32 Gers  33 Gironde  34 Hérault  35 Ille-et-Vilaine  36 Indre  37 Indre-et-Loire  38 Isère  39 Jura  40 Landes  41 Loir-et-Cher  42 Loire  43 Haute-Loire  44 Loire-Atlantique  45 Loiret  46 Lot  47 Lot-et-Garonne  48 Lozère  49 Maine-et-Loire  50 Manche  51 Marne  52 Haute-Marne  53 Mayenne  54 Meurthe-et-Moselle  55 Meuse  56 Morbihan  57 Moselle  58 Nièvre  59 Nord  60 Oise  61 Orne  62 Pas-de-Calais  63 Puy-de-Dôme  64 Pyrénées-Atlantiques  65 Hautes-Pyrénées  66 Pyrénées-Orientales  67 Bas-Rhin  68 Haut-Rhin  69 Rhône  70 Haute-Saône  71 Saône-et-Loire  72 Sarthe  73 Savoie  74 Haute-Savoie  75 Paris  76 Seine-Maritime  77 Seine-et-Marne  78 Yvelines  79 Deux-Sèvres  80 Somme  81 Tarn  82 Tarn-et-Garonne  83 Var  84 Vaucluse  85 Vendée  86 Vienne  87 Haute-Vienne  88 Vosges  89 Yonne  90 Territoire de Belfort  91 Essonne  92 Hauts-de-Seine  93 Seine-Saint-Denis  94 Val-de-Marne  95 Val-d’Oise  971 Guadeloupe  972 Martinique  973 Guyane 

974 Réunion

Edith Mill

Edith Mill (* 16. August 1925 in Wien; † 10. November 2007 in Port Moody; eigentlich Edith Rosalia Martha Müll ) war eine österreichische Theater- und Filmschauspielerin.

Edith Mill wurde 1925 als Tochter des Gastwirtes Georg Müll in Wien geboren. Von 1941 bis 1943 am dortigen Max Reinhardt-Seminar zur Schauspielerin ausgebildet, hatte sie bereits 1934 (gemeinsam mit ihrer Schwester) am Deutschen Volkstheater in einem Märchenspiel auf der Bühne gestanden. Nach einer Zwischenstation in Graz kehrte die Mimin – die ihren wenig schmeichelhaft klingenden Nachnamen inzwischen in „Mill“ abgeändert hatte – in ihre Heimatstadt zurück, um bis 1953 am Burgtheater Rollen zu übernehmen. Hier besetzte sie vor allem das Fach der jungen Sentimentalen, war in Stücken wie Iphigenie, Liebelei, Lysistrata und Die Fliegen zu sehen.

Ab 1949 erhielt die dunkelhaarige Darstellerin mit dem breitflächigen Gesicht auch Angebote beim Film, nachdem sie schon 1943 in dem von Hans Steinhoff inszenierten Künstlerdrama Gabriele Dambrone einen Kurzauftritt gehabt haben soll. Sie war insgesamt fünf Mal die Partnerin von Curd Jürgens, spielte an seiner Seite u.a. in Hexen, Schuß durchs Fenster und Prämien auf den Tod.

In München lernte sie den 25 Jahre älteren Filmproduzenten Richard König kennen, den sie 1953 heiratete. Im Jahr darauf trat sie erstmals in einem Spielfilm ihres Schwagers Hans Heinz König auf, dessen bevorzugte Hauptdarstellerin sie in den nächsten Jahren werden sollte. In der Geliebtes Fräulein Doktor betitelten Komödie mimte Mill eine bieder gekleidete Lehrerin, die sich, dank fingierter, von ihren Schülern verfasster Liebesbriefe in eine hübsche junge Frau verwandelt. Es folgten Der Fischer vom Heiligensee, Das Erbe vom Pruggerhof (beide 1955), Heiße Ernte (1956) und schließlich Jägerblut (1957). Die wohl interessanteste dieser vier, dem Heimatfilm zuzurechnenden Produktionen war Heiße Ernte, die sich an neorealistische Werke wie Bitterer Reis anlehnte. Hier stellte sie die Landarbeiterin Auschra dar, die sich in den Sohn eines Hopfenbauern verliebt. Im März 1957 hatte Mill einen Autounfall, bei dem ihr kleiner Sohn Richard verletzt wurde. Sie selbst zog sich eine Lippenspaltung zu. Nach familiären Schwierigkeiten trennte sie sich schließlich von ihrem Mann, der 1961 verstarb. Mit dem Rückzug ihres Schwagers aus dem Filmgeschäft – er inszenierte 1957 mit Jägerblut seinen letzten Spielfilm – geriet Mills Filmkarriere ins Stocken und so wandte sie sich verstärkt dem Fernsehen zu, spielte in Krimiserien wie Sherlock Holmes und Stahlnetz. Ihre Mitwirkung beschränkte sich jedoch nicht selten auf Nebenrollen oder Gastauftritte. 1959 hatte sie, angetan mit einer blonden Perücke, einen kurzen, aber prägnanten Auftritt als Lady Doringham in der Edgar Wallace-Verfilmung Der rote Kreis unter der Regie von Jürgen Roland.

Im Jahr 1968 wanderte sie nach Kanada aus, wo sie als Yoga-Lehrerin und Heilerin tätig war. Zuletzt lebte sie in Port Moody.

The Turning (1992 film)

The Turning is a 1992 American drama film directed by L.A. Puopolo, based on a play by Chris Ceraso.

It is the first onscreen appearance of actress Gillian Anderson. She and Raymond J. Barry would both go on to appear in The X-Files, though they would not share any scenes together.

Filmed entirely on location in Pocahontas, Virginia,[citation needed] the film is adapted from the stage play Home Fires Burning.

After four years, Cliff Harnish returns to his hometown of Pocahontas, Virginia with hopes of putting a stop to his parents‘ divorce.

The film was bought by British film distributor David Lewis in 1996 and his firm Unique Films released it on video nationwide. The film contains steamy sex scenes and was filmed when Anderson was still a 19 year old student in drama school. Anderson hired lawyers to help stop the release. The British tabloid press which described it as a „B movie“, reported that she attempted to buy it back for „large sums of money“ without success. They reported the scenes as „semi-topless“. Anderson’s partner in the scenes, actor Michael Dolan, reported that the scene was shot at 4 am after a long day and that they were both exhausted. In spite of her embarrassment about the film, Anderson had a clause in her contract stating that her breasts could not be exposed. In spite of all the hoopla, the Orange County Register described the scene as „fleeting“ and that the film „deserves better than to serve as a salacious footnote to a television show“.

Angelo Acciaioli (cardinal)

Angelo Acciaioli, le cardinal de Florence, né à Florence en Toscane, Italie, le 15 avril 1340 et mort à Rome le , est un cardinal italien. D’autres cardinaux de sa famille sont Nicolò Acciaioli (1669) et Filippo Acciaioli (1759).

Acciaioli est chanoine à Patras. En 1375 il est élu évêque de Rapallo et en 1383 il est transféré à Florence.

Le pape Urbain VI le crée cardinal lors du consistoire du . Le cardinal Acciaioli participe au conclave de 1389, lors duquel Boniface IX est élu, au conclave de 1404 (élection d’Innocent VII et de 1406 (élection de Grégoire XII).

Il est légat apostolique à Naples, doyen du chapitre de Salisbury et archidiacre des chapitres d’Exeter et de Cantorbéry. Acciaioli est légat en Hongrie, où il couronne le roi Lajos. En 1404 il est nommé archidiacre de la basilique Saint-Pierre et en 1405 doyen du Collège des cardinaux et vice-chancelier de la Sainte-Église. Il est chargé avec la réforme de l’abbaye de S. Paolo fuori le mura à Rome.

Rostrote Weinrebe

Rostrote Rebe (Vitis coignetiae)

Die Rostrote Weinrebe oder Rostrote Rebe (Vitis coignetiae) ist ein kletternder Strauch mit schwarzen Früchten aus der Familie der Weinrebengewächse (Vitaceae). Das natürliche Verbreitungsgebiet der Art liegt in Japan, Korea und im Osten Russlands. Die Art wird häufig kultiviert.

Die Rostrote Rebe ist ein bis 25 Meter hoch kletternder Strauch mit rotbraun filzigen Trieben. An jedem dritten Sprossknoten fehlen Ranken oder Blütenstände. Die Laubblätter sind in Blattspreite und Blattstiel gegliedert. Die Blattspreite ist einfach, 20 bis 30 Zentimeter breit, rundlich-eiförmig, mehr oder weniger deutlich drei- bis fünflappig mit tief herzförmiger Basis und schmaler Stielbucht. Der Blattrand ist mit kurzen, stachelspitzigen Zähnen versehen. Die Blattoberseite ist stumpfgrün, runzelig und nahezu kahl, die Unterseite ist besonders entlang der Blattadern rostrot spinnwebig filzig. Die Herbstfärbung ist auffallend scharlach- bis karminrot.

Die Blüten sind in 6 bis 12 Zentimeter langen, schmalen und rostrot filzigen Rispen angeordnet. Die Früchte sind schwarz und purpurn bereift und haben Durchmesser von etwa 1 Zentimeter. Die Rostrote Weinrebe blüht von Juni bis Juli.

Das natürliche Verbreitungsgebiet liegt in Japan auf Hokkaidō, Honshū und Shikoku, auf der Koreanischen Halbinsel und auf Sachalin im Osten Russlands. Die Rostrote Rebe wächst in kühlfeuchten Wäldern, auf frischen, schwach sauren bis schwach alkalischen, sandig-lehmigen bis lehmigen, humosen, nährstoffreichen Böden an sonnigen bis lichtschattigen Standorten. Die Art ist meist frosthart.

Die Rostrote Rebe (Vitis coignetiae) ist eine Art aus der Gattung der Weinreben (Vitis), wo sie der Untergattung Vitis zugeordnet ist. Die Gattung wird in der Familie der Weinrebengewächse (Vitaceae) der Unterfamilie Vitoideae zugeordnet. Die Art wurde 1883 von Jules Émile Planchon erstmals wissenschaftlich gültig beschrieben. Der Gattungsname Vitis stammt aus dem Lateinischen und wird für die „Weinrebe“ als auch die „Ranke“ verwendet.

Die Rostrote Rebe wird aufgrund der bemerkenswerten Herbstfärbung häufig kultiviert.

In: The Plant List. Abgerufen am 6. Juli 2012.

Bismarckturm (Ettlingen)

Der Bismarckturm der baden-württembergischen Stadt Ettlingen ist ein zu Ehren des 1890 entlassenen ersten deutschen Reichskanzlers Fürst Otto von Bismarck errichtetes Bismarck-Denkmal.

Er befindet sich etwa auf halber Höhe des Westhangs des Berges Wattkopf. Der Turm ist 17 m hoch und hat einen quadratischen Grundriss (5,3 m x 5,3 m). Bis in die 1940er Jahre hinein wurden bei Sonnwendfeiern in den vier auf dem Turm angebrachten Feuerschalen Feuer entzündet. Heute dient der Turm als Aussichtsturm, von dem aus bei gutem Wetter ein Ausblick auf die Vogesen und die Pfälzer Berge möglich ist.

Im Wintersemester 1899/1900 gründete die Studentenschaft der Karlsruher Universität Fridericiana einen „Studentischen Ausschuss für die Errichtung einer Bismarck-Säule“ zur Koordinierung und Finanzierung des Denkmalbaus. Finanziert werden sollte der Bau vor allem durch Spenden: Die Studentenschaft organisierte Geldsammlungen, Gartenfeste und Varieté-Vorstellungen, die Stadt Karlsruhe selbst spendete 1000 Mark und die Professoren der Universität hielten öffentliche Vorträge, deren Eintrittsgelder dem Bauvorhaben zugutekommen sollten. Die Stadt Ettlingen beteiligte sich nicht an den Kosten, allerdings ließ sie den Zugangsweg zum Turm anlegen. Da die Studenten sich bei der Kostenkalkulation verrechnet hatten, fehlten zum Termin der Schlusssteinlegung noch 10.000 Mark, die ihnen aber von den Professoren vorgestreckt wurden. Dies brachte dem Bismarckturm in Ettlingen den Spottnamen „Schuldenturm“ ein.

Das Waldgrundstück, auf dem der Turm gebaut werden sollte, wurde von dem Forstmeister Rudolf Widman zur Verfügung gestellt, denn er hatte zu Beginn des Jahres 1900 einige Waldparzellen in Ettlingen erworben. Die Studenten hatten an diesem Grundstück großes Interesse, da es eine jahrzehntelange Tradition von Sonnwendfeiern mit Fackelzügen auf dem Wattkopf gab. Den Entwurf für den Turm lieferte der Karlsruher Architekt Friedrich Ratzel. Ein Künstler aus Karlsruhe fertigte das an der Bergseite des Turms angebrachte Bismarck-Wappen.

Der Turm ist aus roten Sandsteinblöcken erbaut, die man in der Nähe des Wattkopfs gebrochen hatte. In seinem oberen Drittel besitzt der quadratische Turm vier sich zum Kapitell hin leicht verjüngende Dreiviertelsäulen. Auf den Kapitellen ist eine Steinplatte auf einem schmalen Gebälk angebracht, in die vier geschmiedete Feuerschalen mit einer Seitenlänge von 0,5 m eingelassen sind.

Die Setzung des Schlusssteins erfolgte bereits am 1. April 1901. Am 21. Juni desselben Jahres, also am Tag der Sommersonnenwende, fand die Einweihung des Bauwerks mit einem Fackelzug und der nachfolgenden erstmaligen Entzündung eines Feuers in den Feuerschalen statt.

Der Bismarckturm war ursprünglich nur dazu konzipiert, dass man an Fest- und Gedenktagen in den Feuerschalen ein Feuer entzündete. Auf der Südseite des Turms befindet sich zwar ein Zugang zu seiner Treppenanlage, doch wurde dieser Zugang nur für die Entzündung der Feuer genutzt. Als Aussichtsturm diente der Bismarckturm zunächst nicht.

Sechs Tage nach der feierlichen Einweihung wurde der Bismarckturm am 27. Juni 1901 der Stadt Karlsruhe per Schenkungsurkunde übergeben, was dazu führte, dass das Turmgrundstück zu einer Karlsruher Exklave auf dem Gebiet der Stadt Ettlingen wurde.

Jährlich wurden zu den Geburtstagen von Bismarck am 1. April und zur Sommersonnenwende dort Studentenfeiern abgehalten und Feuer in den Feuerschalen entzündet. Die Tradition endete im Jahr 1914, wurde aber in der Weimarer Republik wieder aufgenommen, bis sie 1933 für 20 Jahre unterbrochen wurde.

In den 1940er Jahren ereignete sich am Bismarckturm ein tödlicher Unfall, daher wurde der Zugang zur Treppenanlage vermauert; im Jahr 1947 wurde der Turm erstmals – allerdings nur provisorisch – saniert. Ab dem Jahr 1953 entzündete man bis in die 1960er Jahre hinein jährlich zum Tag der Deutschen Einheit dort Feuer, allerdings nicht auf dem Turm, sondern hinter ihm. Auch Sonnwendfeiern wurden wieder abgehalten.

Die Stadt Ettlingen hatte sich lange vergeblich um eine Übereignung des Bismarckturms bemüht; erst im Zuge einer Regulierung der Gemarkungsgrenzen im Jahr 1977 übergab die Stadt Karlsruhe den Turm kostenlos an Ettlingen. Heute steht der Turm unter Denkmalschutz, und nach der gründlichen Sanierung im Jahr 1998 ist er seit dem Mai 1999 auch für die Öffentlichkeit als Aussichtsturm begehbar.

Koordinaten:

Bishambhar Nath Pande

Dr. Bishambhar Nath Pande (23 December 1906 in India – 1 June 1998 in Delhi) was a freedom fighter, social worker, and an eminent parliamentarian in India. Dr. Pande devoted his life to the cause of National Integration, and to the spread of the Gandhian way of life.

Dr. B N Pande devoted his life to the service of the nation, and was a lifelong member of the Indian National Congress. He was a close associate of Jawaharlal Nehru (the first prime minister of independent India), Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi. He has also worked very closely with Sonia Gandhi until his death in 1998.

Dr. Pande was believer in and follower of the „Gandhian Principles and Philosophy“, and was Vice Chairperson of the Gandhi Smriti and Darshan Samiti (GSDS) for 18 years. The primary objective of GSDS is the spread of the „Gandhian Principles and Philosophy“ globally. He was invited to give lectures to Japan, Russia, Germany and Canada on the life and ideals of Mohandas K. Gandhi. Dr. Pande & Dr. Daisaku Ikeda were friends.

Pande was awarded the prestigious Padma Shri by the President of the Republic of India for his achievements in the field of social work in 1976.

Pande was awarded the Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration by P. V. Narasimha Rao (the Prime Minister of India) in 1996 for his lifetime achievements in the field of Hindu – Muslim unity in India.[citation needed] He was also awarded the Khuda Baksh Award for his work on the composite culture of India.

1. Member of the Legislative Assembly, Uttar Pradesh (from — to —)
2. Mayor of Allahabad (from — to —)
3. Member of Parliament, Rajya Sabha (Upper House) (from 1976 to 1984 and from 1989 to 1998)
4. President of the Pradesh Congress Committee, Uttar Pradesh (from 1980 – 1983)
5. Governor of Odisha (from 1984 to 1988)

Pande devoted a major part of his life to research on secularism with the objective of promoting unity amongst all religions in India. As part of his research, he wrote several books.

1. Centenary history of the Indian National Congress 1885-1985
2. A Concise History of the Indian National Congress, 1947–1985 (1986)
3. Indira Gandhi
4. Islam and Indian culture

5. Aurangzeb

Dr. Pande was married to Shanta Pande, a former freedom fighter.

W. L. H. Skeen

William Louis Henry Skeen (1847–1903) was an English photographer in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) who photographed tea and coffee cultivation, railway construction, landscapes and various inhabitants in the second half of the 19th century.

William Louis Henry Skeen was born 1 July 1847 in London, his father, William Skeen, Sr. (1822-1872), was the first officially appointed Government Printer for Ceylon (1849-1872) and his mother was Louisa Matilda née Kemp (1822-1864). In 1860 Skeen Sr purchased the photographic studio of James Parting in Colombo. The studio operated firstly as S. Slinn & Co and was managed by Samuel Slinn Skeen (the younger brother of Skeen Sr) and John Edward Wilshaw. Skeen Jr who was trained at the London School of Photography returned to Colombo in 1862, taking over control of the photographic studio, renaming it W.L.H. Skeen & Co. in 1868.

Skeen’s younger brothers, George Justin Athelstan (1852-1906) was the Ceylon Government Printer (1881-1906) and Frederick Albert Edward (1861-?) assisted his brother at W.L.H. Skeen & Co until 1887, when he went to Burma (now Myanmar) establishing the photographic firm of Watts and Skeen in Rangoon. Frederick returned to Ceylon after the death of William in 1903 and changed the company name to F. Skeen and Co.. Frederick left Ceylon in 1914 and the studio closed in the early 1920s.

The photo company was appointed to work for the Duke of Edinburgh during his 1870 tour. Among the photographic subject the captured were elephant kraals.

Skeen Jr.’s illustrations were used for two books that his father wrote: The Knuckles and Other Poems (1868) and Adam’s Peak (1870). The studio also published J.W.W. Birch’s photographs of Polonnaruwa as well as views of Indian cities. A branch studio was also opened in Kandy, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) in 1891.

Skeen was married to Elizabeth, who ran a millinery in Kandy. They had had three children: Ellen Margaret, Sydney Louis Ernest, and Harold Lewis Spencer. His wife died on 20 January 1933 at Clacton-on-Sea.